The School is addressed to final year undergraduate students, graduates and PhD candidates, official of the Public Administration (municipalities, counties, regional bodies) and regulatory agencies staff who intend to study in depth some of the most relevant issues for regulation, tariff setting and management of local public services, either of environmental interest or not. The programme is designed as an intensive workshop, combining theoretical modules and case studies.
More specifically the course is designed as follows:
- Part one is devoted to theory, economic models and analytical instruments for local regulation;
- Part two includes sector analysis of the main industrial local public services (e.g. water cycle, urban waste), country-based cases studies and guest lectures.
1. THEORY OF REGULATION FROM ORIGINS TO PRINCIPAL-AGENT, INCENTIVES AND MECHANISM DESIGN:
- Regulation as a game of incomplete information: incentives and mechanism design in local regulation
- Natural / legal monopoly and market failures
- Regulatory Authorities at local level: constraints
- Regulatory targets: price/demand, costs, profits, quality
- Economic analysis for regulation : public and private costs, industrial economic analysis, capital budgeting sensitivity analysis, risk analysis
- Regulatory policies: ex-ante and ex-post regulation, auction, price-cap, IRR, other instruments
2. CASE-STUDIES AND GUEST LECTURES:
- Sector-based case studies (e.g. water cycle, urban waste management)
- Country-based case studies
- Guest lectures by international experts and practitioners.
The Summer School is a unique experience offering the opportunity to meet an international faculty and participants from all over the world, interested in learning and sharing experiences about local policies and local regulation.
The programme 2022 will be released in the next weeks. In order to have an idea of the topics covered have a look to the programme of the 2021 online edition.
Do you want to know more?
Please have a look to the programme of lectures 2019 and download the presentations or watch the video presentation of the lectures.
Keep this webpage monitored for updates or subscribe to our newsletter in order to receive via email automatic updates and alerts.