The School is addressed to final year undergraduate students, graduates and official of the Public Administration (municipalities, counties, regional bodies) and regulatory agencies staff who intend to study in depth some of the most relevant issues for regulation, tariff setting and management of local public services, either of environmental interest or not. The programme is designed as an intensive workshop, combining theoretical and practical modules.
More specifically the course is designed as follows:
- Part one is devoted to theory, economic models and analytical instruments for local regulation;
- Part two includes sector analysis of the main industrial local public services (e.g. water cycle, urban waste), country-based cases studies and guest lectures;
- Part three offers local site-visits and a practical experience with virtual regulatory case studies developed by working groups.
1. THEORY OF REGULATION FROM ORIGINS TO PRINCIPAL-AGENT, INCENTIVES AND MECHANISM DESIGN:
- Regulation as a game of incomplete information: incentives and mechanism design in local regulation
- Natural / legal monopoly and market failures
- Regulatory Authorities at local level: constraints
- Regulatory targets: price/demand, costs, profits, quality
- Economic analysis for regulation : public and private costs, industrial economic analysis, capital budgeting sensitivity analysis, risk analysis
- Regulatory policies: ex-ante and ex-post regulation, auction, price-cap, IRR, other instruments
2. CASE-STUDIES AND GUEST LECTURES:
- Sector-based case studies (e.g. water cycle, urban waste management)
- Country-based case studies
- Guest lectures by international experts and practitioners.
3. ON-THE-FIELD WORK:
- Site-visits to local plants
- Work in groups to develop virtual local regulatory case studies: regulatory goals, data collection, information asymmetries management, analysis and definition of tariff regulation or other regulatory aspects
- Production and presentation of a final report .
The Summer School is a unique experience offering the opportunity to meet an international faculty and participants from all over the world, interested in learning and sharing experiences about local policies and local regulation.
The 2017 programme will be relasead by the end of April. To have an idea of the topics that will be covered during the Summer School, please download the programme of lectures 2016
Want to know more?
Have a look to the programme of lectures 2015 and download the presentations or watch the video presentation of the lectures.
Keep this webpage monitored for updates or subscribe to our newsletter in order to receive via email automatic updates and alerts.